Summary of Duties
The Senior Benefit Analyst position supports the Senior Benefit Managers and AVP of Total Rewards with a heavy focus on data management, healthcare & benefits analytics and reporting. The Senior Benefit Analyst also supports the benefits team in the day-to-day management of the Amtrak Benefit Programs including Retirement, Healthcare and Life Insurance Plans. This position involves, but is not limited to, (1) data management and analytics to identify trends and opportunities, to enhance data integrity and to resolve and/or avoid benefit issues; (2) analysis of plan provisions, processes and operations via data review, financial analysis and benchmarking to gauge plan performance and identify gaps and opportunities; and (3) the development and execution of data gathering, data reconciliations and data reviews to support and enhance plan performance and audit activities.
The position reports to the Senior Manager, Benefits.
- Develops and performs data analysis and data reconciliations for purposes of identifying trends, gaps and opportunities to resolve issues and improve plan performance.
- Along with the Senior Manager, Benefits, requests, reviews and evaluates vendor reporting (e.g., healthcare data analytics reports, healthcare vendor and prescription drug vendor reports) to gauge plan performance and potential challenges and opportunities.
- Assists in the development of data driven recommendations relative to benefit plan design and provisions for purposes of effective plan management, driving enhancements to plan value, supporting labor negotiations and maintaining or improving the competitiveness of Amtrak programs.
- Supports benefit audit activities and projects including Amtrak audit via 3rd party auditors of the Amtrak plans as well as internal audits of Amtrak programs.
- Assists Benefit COEs with problem resolution to ensure accurate, timely, and courteous resolutions.
- Support Benefits team in identifying and executing process improvements to proactively address potential issues, improve the member experience and drive improvements in plan operations.
- Assists the Benefits team in the execution and monitoring of key controls along with identifying and driving efficiencies where feasible.
- Develops written materials and summaries to document data findings and recommendations, benefit processes, provide reference materials and convey information to appropriate parties.
- Collaborates with the IT team and appropriate COEs regarding HR SAP, benefit processes and process improvements.
- Supports testing of HR and/or vendor systems due to upgrades or enhancements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of work experience/training.
- At least 3 years experience in Benefits Planning and/or Operations or the equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Experience with SAP or other Human Resource Information Systems.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of benefits, third party record keeping/administration, Retirement and Health and Welfare Benefits Policies, rules, regulations, eligibility provisions and enrollment procedures, beneficiary designations and special settlements
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Accounting, Finance, Business
- 5 years of experience in Benefits Planning and/or Operations
- 3 years of experience with SAP or other Human Resource Information Systems.
- CEBS and/or PHR Certification.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify, analyze, and resolve issues based on data or available information.
Communications and Interpersonal Skills
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.