Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
This position can be located anywhere along the Northeast Corridor
Summary of Duties
The Senior Director is responsible for enterprise-wide strategic Executive Rewards, Broad-Based Compensation, Rewards & Recognition, and Performance Management; executing short-term and long-term incentive plans that support Amtrak’s strategic goals. This leader manages and effectively executes executive rewards, compensation, rewards & recognition, and performance management projects in a complimentary, holistic total rewards framework and is a great developer of people and self.
The Senior Director must work successfully in a matrix organization to ensure standards are established and met. These matrix relationships include, but are not limited to, Executive Leadership, Finance, Human Resources, Technology, and Law. The Senior Director Compensation, Rewards & Recognition, and Performance Management reports directly to the Assistant Vice President Total Rewards.
- Key resource for company-wide executive rewards, compensation, rewards & recognition, and performance management strategy and philosophy by developing fiscally sound strategies to evaluate trends and provide recommendations for optimization and forecasting.
- Develop and/or deploy user-friendly rewards processes and resources (tools, templates, training materials, web content), ensuring consistent use and adoption from key stakeholders.
- Partners closely with the Finance department, especially Financial Planning & Analysis, to align strategic executive rewards, compensation, rewards & recognition, and performance management actions’ financial forecasting for capital and operating budgets.
- Develops annual budget, tracks budget vs expense and forecasts changes throughout the year.
- Partner with senior management on a variety of projects, including program design, analysis, and implementation of new programs to ensure competitive and cost-effective executive rewards, compensation, rewards & recognition, and performance management designs, administrative processes, communications, and compliance considerations that will support Amtrak’s compensation and ROI objectives.
- Manage, develop a team of at least 5 FTEs
- Manage development of corporate-wide communications related to executive rewards, compensation, rewards & recognition, and performance management plans.
- Ensure all executive rewards, compensation, rewards & recognition, and performance management programs are in compliance with all Federal, State, and local compensation laws and regulations, and with established guidelines, processes, and procedures.
- Conduct best practice research and oversee annual market competitive assessments to ensure that executive rewards, compensation, rewards & recognition, and performance management remains competitive to attract, retain and motivate associates.
- Contract with external consultants as applicable.
- Prepares reports, analytics, summaries, and presents findings to senior and executive management, for use in strategic decision making or planning.
- Oversees partnerships with internal data owners to increase and maintain data integrity and data accuracy
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of training, education and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
- 13 years of demonstrated experience in executive rewards, compensation, rewards & recognition, and performance management strategy, operations within large multi-dimensional companies.
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designation.
- Strategic thinker with superior business and financial acumen.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering executive, board-level presentations.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing department and enterprise-level capital and operating budgets.
- Demonstrated success in repurposing raw data into actionable information.
- Demonstrated acumen with metrics and/or KPI development, tracking, and evaluation.
- Demonstrated business process management experience. Experience leading large-scale company-wide programs and initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a partnership environment and cooperatively with a cross-section of stakeholders.
- Excellent analytical skills - ability to accurately interpret and summarize data into decision-ready management information.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including strong listening and influencing skills. Ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels within the organization.
- Good project management skills.
- Results-oriented; flexible; organized and disciplined.
- Self-motivated, take charge, and driven attitude; demonstrated “can do” attitude.
- Experience in compensation, rewards & recognition, and performance management consulting, communication strategy, vendor negotiation, plan design, and knowledge of current trends.
- Ability to develop, lead, and grow a high-performing team and effectively work with senior leadership.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel (including expertise with spreadsheets), SAP, Success Factors, and or a similar HRIS.
- Ability to balance competing priorities while still meeting deadlines.
- Master’s degree.
- 15 years of relevant experience
- Passenger transportation experience.
- Experience with SAP or enterprise Human Resource data structures.
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification
- Certified Executive Compensation Professional (CECP) designation
- Travel up to 20%
- Requisition ID:54685
- Posting Location(s): District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
- Job Family/Function: Human Capital
- Relocation Offered: No
- Travel Requirements: Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.