The Manager, Policy & Advocacy will support the public policy and advocacy needs of our members by analyzing relevant health and benefits-related statutes and regulations supporting members on benefits compliance and design matters and developing and executing strategies to expand the Business Group’s advocacy reach. This position is based in Washington, DC and is temporarily remote.
- Proactively identify, analyze, and track legislation and regulations of significance to Business Group members.
- Research, review, and develop a variety of written materials that clearly and concisely describe policy and compliance options. Present complex and detailed policy matters to a variety of audiences with a succinct and objective voice.
- With minimal oversight, demonstrate the ability to respond to requests for policy analysis, research, and information from members, policymakers, and Business Group colleagues within tight deadlines.
- Recommend changes to advocacy strategy and deliverables as the policy and regulatory environment evolves.
- Work with the Director and others to strengthen ties between the Business Group, other organizations, and member government relations teams.
- Stay abreast of relevant literature and research on key policy issues for members and other Business Group team members.
- Provide research and analysis support to Director as needed, including information for policy presentations.
- Along with others, participate in external policy meetings, coalitions, and information exchanges as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree required, strong consideration for Master’s degree, or equivalent related experience, in public policy, health policy, health or benefits law, or related field (economics, labor relations, business, or health services research).
- Minimum 7-10 years professional experience in public policy analysis and research with a demonstrated history in developing and implementing advocacy strategies.
- Experience in corporate setting, business consulting or health care policy consulting a strong plus.
- Experience writing for a corporate audience a strong plus.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Manage a wide range of assigned projects from concept to completion on time and with minimal supervision.
- Identifies emerging risks and challenges and brings proposed solutions to supervisor for discussion and approval.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new subject matter quickly and become conversant in it. Strong critical thinking and research skills, including familiarity with trusted policy and benefits sources.
- Exceptional ability to set goals, measure progress, and meet deadlines, while managing multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment.
- High degree of self-motivation, organization, attention to detail, judgment, and problem-solving ability.
- Excellent internal and external customer and member service skills, having the ability to successfully interact with experts in the field, partners, colleagues, member companies, and potential members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to clearly articulate processes, analyses, problems, and proposed solution.
- Polished and confident public speaker.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- High professional standards and the ability to handle sensitive information confidentially.
- Highly computer literate, with demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite software, Zoom and Microsoft CRM.
- Strong project management skills
- Member/customer-first orientation
- Interpersonal awareness/leadership
- Growth mindset
Qualified candidates can submit a cover letter and resume to: