January 09, 2020
India’s continued economic success has made it a regional hub for many multinational employers. However, navigating the country’s complex benefit environment can be a challenge for many employers. Below, learn what statutory and supplemental disability benefits are currently available.
Statutory Disability Benefits
- Sickness benefits commence after 2 days of absence due to sickness and are payable for a maximum of 91 days in two consecutive 6 month benefit periods (Jan 1 to Jun 30 and Jul 1 to Dec 31).
- Eligibility: Employees of factories with 10 or more persons, earning monthly wages of INR21,000 or less
LTD (EPF and EPS)
- EPF – Accumulated funds in the member’s account.
- EPS – Disability pension would be (with a minimum of INR1,000 per month) equal to the pension that would have been payable should the employee have retired on the date of disability.
- Eligibility: All employees earning up to INR21,000 per month are eligible.
Supplemental Disability Benefits
- For 92% of companies, STD and LTD are riders of AD&D, but only pays out for accidents. AD&D is part of group personal accident plan.
- All employees are eligible for all 3 benefits with employer paying for the cost.
- STD: Benefit is payable in terms of weekly pay, usually capped at INR10,000 per week. Maximum coverage for STD is 104 weeks.
- LTD: Usually a percentage of capital sum insured is payable, depending on the severity of the disability. The policy terms clearly specify the possible pay out.
- AD&D: Benefits typically range from 12 to 60 times’ monthly pay. The most common provisions are 24 or 36 times monthly pay (or 2 or 3 times gross annual salary, including all components). Some companies provide a fixed lump sum amount at a median of INR1,000,000.
More TopicsArticles & Guides Plan Design & Administration COVID-19
- 1 | Mercer. Compensation and Benefits Around the World app. 2019. Android app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mercer.mercerapp). Apple app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mercer-comp-ben-plans/id532313493).